Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Hoops on LOI day? | by Dylan

Sure, why not.

ND Basketball was my favorite sport when I was a kid. It's been harder to follow since I've been out of school and living in California, but I learned something today that shouldn't have shocked a true Irish fan, but blew me away. I will use this space to trumpet my ignorance.

Notre Dame is the all-time tenth-winningest Division I Men's Basketball program (beware, .pdf lurking). As of this moment, Notre Dame has won three fewer games (1,561) than Indiana (1,564), even though the Irish have played five fewer seasons than the Hoosiers. Passing IU this year and scooting into ninth place all-time would seem to be a done deal.

Allow me to repeat myself: We are about to pass Indiana University in basketball victories.

What a great time to be alive.