Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Standing Bye | by Jay

Give us a moment to catch our breaths. Most of us were at the Southern Cal game, and are still recuperating from a long night of imbibing at CJ's. Thank God it's a bye week.

In the meantime, check out this quote from Charlie's Trojan wrap-up. I think it encapsulates the chief coaching misstep this year, and hints at a renewed, vigorous approach heading into next season:

Q. You mentioned a minute or two ago about the blame and the mistakes. Just wondering if what you have looked at this year caused you to change any philosophy you have about coaching?

COACH WEIS: More specifically?

Q. Well, like the deferring, that is a subtle change. But just anything that causes you to think next year, this is how I do things totally different.

COACH WEIS: I think there's things that I never thought that I would do that I probably will do. You know, it's funny because Mike had asked a question one day when we started hitting in practice, hitting in practice after Michigan. I've never been a part of a program that hit full speed during the season. Never. And to be honest with you, I think it made us better.

So I think it's something that is starting at training camp this year, and starting in spring ball this year then going to training camp, I think we might have to do it more.
"I've never been part of a program that hit full speed during the season." For those of you thinking that Charlie hadn't fully made the leap from a pro mentality to the college game (drink), there you have it. There are risks to going full contact -- just look at the MASH unit on the other sideline on Saturday -- but our youngsters needed to hit, and hit hard. It sounds like Charlie's learned a valuable lesson in how to prepare a young, inexperienced team.

P.S. On a related note, AT's got a pretty good rant going over on Legends of South Bend. It's a cathartic read -- check it out if you haven't already.