Sunday, July 05, 2009

Gunner | by Jay

Inspired during the cutting of the clips below, I went ahead and threw together a little Mike Anello highlight reel.



From the Observer last November:

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound former walk-on plays gunner on the Irish punt team and is also on the kickoff team. Anello made his debut on the field last year in Notre Dame's 38-0 loss to Michigan in the Big House.

"I remember I had a good week on the scout team the week before," he said. "During practice, Coach [Charlie] Weis started yelling 'Where's Anello?' I thought I had done something wrong."

Weis told him that he had cracked the depth chart and would be going to Ann Arbor that weekend. Anello waited all week for the coaches to pull him out of the spot, but it never happened. On his second trip down the field he got to the ball and recorded his first collegiate tackle.

"It was kind of a surreal experience, if you had told me a few years ago that I would even be on the Notre Dame team I would've probably laughed at you," Anello said.